Friday 20 April 2012

How to make a check mark/tick in InDesign

I'll start by saying this has nothing to do with Moodle.

I have been designing book covers and one of them needed a tick mark.  So of course I did some Googling to try and find out how to do it.  I came across numerous posts from people trying to do the same thing and the answers they received varied from "It can't be done" to "It can be done but it's a massive hassle."

I eventually found the answer in the most unlikely of places, a Microsoft Excel help document.  This pointed out that Wingdings has a tick mark as one of its characters.

This is only for Windows by the way, I have no idea what to do on a Mac.

Got to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools and choose Character Map.  In the font drop down choose Wingdings.  Now you can see all the handy little icons that make up Wingdings.  Click the one you want to use (the ticks are at the end) and press Select then Copy.  This will put the character on your clipboard.  Return to InDesign (or whatever program you're using) and paste the character in place.  The character will probably appear as a box because the font you're using doesn't recognise it.  Highlight the character and change its font to Wingdings and there you go.

I went one step further and made the tick mark into a bullet point. Create a new paragraph style for the list you want ticks next to.  In the Bullets and Numbering tab and click Add in the Bullet Character box.  Choose Wingdings from the Font Family drop down, click the tick mark you want.  This mark will now act as a bullet point for this list.

I'm not gonna lie, it was an utter revelation when I realised Wingdings actually had a use.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this tip Frances, saves me having to do something ridiculous like finding a vector image of a tick and bringing it in. First time I've ever used Wingdings.

    Frank Mayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. In InDesign, you can select Wingdings font and type ALT+0252 and you will get a check mark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how about an X mark as in use for a chart to go along with check marks?

    ReplyDelete

Comment